• Christopher M. Alexander

What Happens in Mediation in Warren County

If your divorce or post-decree case is pending before the Warren County Court of Common Pleas, Division for Domestic Relations, and parenting issues are in dispute, you may be ordered to attend court-connected mediation.

By way of background, courts instituted this procedure to offer parents an opportunity to settle their difficulties in a non-litigating setting and without excessive attorney’s fees, to create options that fit the situation of the parents and the children and to reduce the number of contested custody disputes.

Your Judge or Magistrate will typically inquire whether Mediation is appropriate in your case based on a number of different factors. However, at any time after service of the complaint or a post-decree motion, the Court may order both parties into mediation where parenting issues are in dispute. In Warren County, the Court utilizes its own Magistrate’s as mediators, although the assigned Mediator would never be the same as the Magistrate assigned to preside over your case.

After the mediation session is complete, the mediator will prepare a summary report that is provided to the attorneys and the Judge/Magistrate assigned to your case. No other information will be provided to your assigned Judge/Magistrate. If not agreement is reached, the report will simply say “No agreement reached.”

Keep in mind that mediated agreements are not binding until approved by the parties’ attorneys, if any, and by the Court, which shall consider the best interests of the children when allocating parental rights and responsibilities and/or establishing a parenting schedule. The mediation agreement becomes binding when it is filed with the Court as an Agreed Entry or a Court Entry.

Court connected mediation is provided at no cost to the parties. No electronic monitoring or use of social media of any type is permitted during mediation. This includes, but is not limited to, cell phones, recording devices, facetime, etc.

When you need a skilled and experienced family law lawyer, contact Christopher M. Alexander at (513) 228 – 1100, mobile (513) 226 – 8489, or online at

13 views0 comments

Recent Posts

See All

In Ohio, both parents have a duty to support their children until emancipation. Emancipation typically occurs when a child turns 18 and graduates from high school. The law also provides for limited si